Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Ten years out

Ten years out of art school, still painting, still loving it. The abilities increase. The thought behind the art deepens. I become adept with paint and can do nearly anything I want to do. People look at the work, and an increasing number of them understand and appreciate the limb I go out on.

And every day, over and over, I write and rewrite an artist's statement, trying to distill into a few words the motivation and hoped-for result of the painting. It changes much more than does the painting itself. Are the words conversational, confrontational, theory, poetry? Do I dare tell the truth, or is a story more appealing? Should there be a long form and corresponding short form? Should it be hard, or easy?

More to follow.

3 comments:

  1. JoEllyn - congratulations on starting a blog. It's a lot like keeping a journal and a lot like art - You are opening yourself up for all to see, giving us the essence of who you are. Keep sharing with us, both through your blog and especially through your art!

    Cheers!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joey, What a GRAND idea! This will be my first blog. I feel somewhat intimidated because writing about me, my work and my process is one of the most difficult things for me to do (and i thought making art was hard!). They didn't tell us about this part in art school. You have such a flair for writing - humm??? Too bad art is such an individual endeavor, i would hire you if it weren't. Am currently reading two very, very interesting books: The Artist's Voice by Katharine Kuh (unedited interviews with several modern artists) Amazing to me how their speech patterns seem to reflect their works! Also, Art and Physics by Schlain, an MD in Mill Valley. Very good read if you are in the scientific/art space that i currently seem to occupy. Anyway KUDOS to you Joey. Love you, L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have enough mental energy at the end of a painting day to think of artist statements?...by te end of my day i can barely keep my mind on one single track for more than a nano second, but my paintings are beatin the crap out of me right now. ABSOLUTELY N O T H I N G is coming out that is worth keeping. I keep telling myself it is a PROCESS and it will lead to something even better. I hear this is pretty common after a solo show, so i use that as a cushion. Anyone out there confirm or can at least comiserate with me on this?

    ReplyDelete